welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, May 26, 2017

REJECTED WORLD-WIDE WEIRDIES BY KEN REID



In my previous post I showed a Creepy Creation by Ken Reid that was for some reason rejected by the editor of SHIVER AND SHAKE comic.

When SHIVER AND SHAKE was absorbed by WHOOPEE! in 1974, Ken was put in charge of drawing the World-Wide Weirdies feature.  The complete WWWs series in the weeklies consists of 203 illustrated posters, all drawn and quite a few signed by Ken Reid.

Interestingly, there were three more that were rejected. The School of 'Wails' printed in WHOOPEE! dated 23rd April, 1977 was first submitted as Wales (Miners); the title suggests that Ken chose the mining angle for his original version but it was a sensitive theme in the 70s so IPC preferred to play it safe and instructed him to take a different approach and exploit the wails/whales wordplay instead (my speculation). 

Then there was something about Ken’s Weird/Whacky Whirlpool that the editor didn’t like so readers only saw the second re-drawn version in WHOOPEE! issue dated 17th December, 1977.

Lastly, the Tower of London which Ken drew in November 1977 would have been a welcome addition to the gallery of London attractions but IPC rejected Ken’s take on it without suggesting how to make it acceptable.

I haven’t seen the first two rejects but the original of the last one has survived in Ken’s archive. Again, I can’t quite understand the editor’s reasons for rejecting it. Any thoughts on this?



5 comments:

  1. Pure speculation of course, but I'd guess it was rejected because there was no humorous element to the drawing. I also think that the Tower of London, 'though beautifully drawn, is, perspective-wise, 'off' a little in relation to the position of the executioner. Great drawing 'though, Irmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of humorous element might have been the reason but in my opinion quite a few of the WWWs that were printed were actually more scary than humorous... I remember showing a gallery of those in one of my old Halloween posts.

      Delete
  2. I would agree with Kid and would just add that it is too "serious" (rather than cartoony scary) a drawing for a kids comic regardless of any humour element - It just looks like a rather foreboding axe man (fantastic illo all the same)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but it is surely not the only one, and quite a few that WERE printed were more scary, 'serious' and out of place in a children's comic. Take a look at my old post here: http://kazoop.blogspot.lt/2013/10/happy-halloween.html

      Delete
  3. Yep your right - I hadn't seem a lot of these ones. Very strange as a lot of effort and skill is in that illo.

    ReplyDelete