welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Tuesday, April 26, 2016

GUEST APPEARANCES AT SCREAM INN - SERIES INTRO




I like it when characters make guest appearances in other features. I may be mistaken, but Scream Inn may very well be the champion in this category, at least as far as IPC comics are concerned. The general setting of the strip with Innkeeper welcoming a fresh guest every week offered a perfect frame for including virtually anybody and anything into the story.


A quick look through my notes tells me there were at least 13 episodes with such guest appearances, so I thought it might be fun to do a series of blogposts and show them all! I will start it in a few days, but until then here’s a nice exchange of visits between two Whoopee! star characters – Scared-Stiff Sam and Frankie Stein from the issue of Whoopee! & Shiver and Shake cover-dated 5th April, 1975:





5 comments:

  1. Strangely, I was never really into Scream Inn at the time, but it looks far more interesting to me now. I think you showed this before, but quality is always worth repeating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a series of 3 posts on the Shiver and Shake run of Scream Inn when I covered the title in detail a couple of years ago. Scream Inn is easily one of my favourite features in IPC comics, if not the most favourite one!

      Delete
  2. Oh, fantastic, Timothy Tester and Toy Boy stopping at Scream Inn!

    I don't think I was aware of any of the strips featured here. Great artwork on Frankie and Sam.

    Great post, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that Robert Nixon drew Sam's strip that week instead of the usual artist Mike Lacey.

      Delete
  3. I always get a little excited when I see a character appear in a different strip - always a little bit of fun that makes me smile. I also found it funny when DC Thomson and Fleetway/IPC would do "cameos" - e.g. Dennis the Menace in Buster. Not common, but funny to see

    ReplyDelete