welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, September 25, 2015

MORE BUSTER COVERS BY BAX



Below are the remaining two Buster covers by Leo Baxendale from 1967, followed by examples of The Cave Kids and The Pirates by Bax from the same period. It appears that the artist also did the lettering throughout the runs of both strips.





By way of a teaser for the next post, I can say that I decided to check if I can find more examples of cap-less Buster. Come back soon to see some results of my quest. In the meantime, here’s an image of Buster-less cap from 1985:

11 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Curiously, the lodger's face has obviously been redrawn by someone else for some reason. He looks like Hitler, but I wonder how Leo had intended him to look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious, indeed. Perhaps Leo wanted the lodger to look like Andy Capp? Hitler was a weird twist, wasn't it?

      Delete
    2. Irmy, I couldn't say whether the lodger originally looked like Andy Capp or not, but I'd say it's pretty certain that it's meant to be Buster's dad. ('though Andy had long been ignored by the comic by 1967). After all, slippering a kid isn't usually something that a mere lodger would do. Was that the only appearance of the lodger, do you know?

      Delete
    3. I also was under an impression that slippering was the prerogative of Dads and teachers, not some lodgers, even if they were Hitler-look-alikes :)
      I haven’t looked for the lodger specifically so I’m not sure if he made other appearances in the strip.

      Delete
  2. Just thought... I wonder if Leo had drawn Andy Capp in those panels? The 'lodger' is wearing Andy's scarf, and of course Buster was originally billed as the Son of Andy Capp. It also makes more sense that it'd be Buster's dad giving him the slipper, not some lodger administering punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Capp was exactly my impression...

      Delete
    2. Yes, going by the times of our postings we both had the same thought at the same time.

      Nice finds, Irmantas!

      Delete
  3. lodger is written slightly different it must of been his Dad before...Andy Capp..panel 9

    Will be fun to see if Tom Paterson slipped up and showed Buster full head of hair...seem to remember he did when he started drawing Buster..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only looked through the years 1965 - 1970 and taken a quick view at Tom Paterson's first year, so if Tom did draw cap-less Buster, it remains to be found :)

      Delete
  4. On 22/10/83, we were told that Buster appeared without his cap on 4/4/81, 6/3/82 and 20/11/82, to give but three instances. On 4/6/83, Jack Oliver gave another image of Buster without his cap, which was amusing but alas gave us virtually no real answers! Hope these help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check the issues you have mentioned, many thanks!

      Delete