welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Tuesday, February 17, 2015

MONSTER FUN ANNUAL 1980, PART TWO



I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that Barrie Appleby was not available to contribute to MONSTER FUN Annual 1980 and the strips which would have been drawn by him were given to another artist (or other artists) to illustrate. I can’t decide whether it was Joe McCaffrey or Reg Parlett, or maybe both of them on different strips. Or perhaps it was Barrie Appleby all along, imitating Reg Parlett?

They include both sets of Terror TV. The first one featured The Multi-Horror Swap Shock! show and the other one – All Creatures Big and Small. Here it is in full:



Two episodes of Teddy Scare also fall within the category:

  


… as do both episodes of Tom Thumbscrew:



… as does Brainy and His Monster Maker. One of the two episodes is called Brainy’s Monster Maker. I can see traces of Barrie Appleby, Reg Parlett/Joe McCaffrey and even Frank McDiarmid in this one, here it is in full:


So, who do you think illustrated these?

The Annual contains a fair share or reprints, including the second Badtime Bedtime Book (Robinson Gruesome by Leo Baxendale) from the second issue of Monster Fun Comic weekly. The reprint is twice the size of the original BBB and is printed in b/w:


Now for the highlights, which, for me, are the strips from the hand of Mike Brown. I believe he was responsible for three in this Annual, although none were signed. A Christmas Phanto-Mime is first in line and the only one I have some doubts about regarding artwork credits. I tend to think it is by Mike Brown, but drawn a few years earlier when he was just starting to work on Badtime Bedtime Books in MONSTER FUN COMIC. See for yourselves and let me know what you think:



Alfie’s Alphabet is a hilarious one-off:


And finally, here is the indispensable new Badtime Bedtime StoryAladdin - a mad combination of the oriental tale, Star Wars and whatnot. There's even the artist's self-portrait on page two. Enjoy!






All Images 2015 © Egmont UK Ltd.  All rights reserved. Used with permission.

6 comments:

  1. I'd say it's definitely Reg Parlett's work in the first strip, Irmy. (Terror TV.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that first Terror TV is a Parlett. I suspect it could be Rob Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Terror TV, Teddy Scare and the first Tom Thumbscrew are all Reg Parlett over Barrie’s pencils. The key for the Terror TV strip that it can’t be Rob Lee is the lettering “SURGERY” which is definitely Reg.

    The second Tom Thumbscrew looks more like Joe McCaffrey. Brainy may well be Barrie in a rush, or it’s someone who followed his pencils almost to the very stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Reg ever do inks over other artists' pencils, though, Andy? I can't remember him ever ghosting other artists' strips in the annuals. I assumed he was busy enough with the weeklies, as his own strips tended to be ghosted in the annuals.

      I thought the tell-tale signs of Rob Lee, who did lots of ghosting, were the hands - especially with the splayed fingers - and legs and feet, always evident in Kid Gloves, clearly based on Reg Parlett's, but much more exaggerated, and always clearly not Parlett.

      Delete
  4. The Pantomime is by Keith Reynolds (Tom Dick and Sally, The Teeny Toppers, School Belle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should've looked at more than the first page - I can see another hand in the other two.

    ReplyDelete