welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Thursday, September 20, 2012

COR!! COMIC ANNUAL 1981



 COR!! COMIC ANNUAL 1981. £1.50, 128 pages.

The contents: Val’s Vanishing Cream (3 episodes), Ivor Lott and Tony Broke (6 episodes: 5 reprints from old COR!! weeklies and one new episode by Crocker), Fiends and Neighbours (2 episodes illustrated by Les Barton), Jelly Baby (3 episodes), Spotter (2 episodes), Whacky (4 reprints of original Mike Lacey’s episodes from old COR!! weeklies), Benny Bendo (3 episodes), Nightmare (3 episodes by Les Barton), Jasper the Grasper (2 brand new episodes), The Gasworks Gang (4 reprints from old COR!! weeklies), Gus Gorilla (3 episodes), Wilfred the World’s Worst Wizard (2 episodes), Football Madd (3 episodes, one by Les Barton), Hire A Horror (2 reprints), Spaghetti Sid puzzle, Young Macdonald and his Farm, The Slimms (illustrated by Terry Bave), Tease Break (2 instalments), Willy Worry (2 episodes, one by Terry Bave and one by David Jenner), Donovan’s Dad (by Terry Bave), Tomboy, Prehistoric Maze puzzle, Helpful Hettie (2 episodes), Andy’s Ants (by Terry Bave), Teacher’s Pet, Gus Gags, Chalky.

The artist who I believe is Tom Williams contributed quite a large number of pages in this edition (Val’s Vanishing Cream, Spotter and Helpful Hettie – 2 episodes of each). Here is a set of Helpful Hettie. Could someone confirm it is indeed by Tom Williams please?


The book contained two different versions of Jasper the Grasper - one by Trevor Metcalfe (the original artist who illustrated the story in COR!! weeklies) and one by John Geering. 


What I like about Fiends and Neighbours is that from this edition onwards Les Barton started drawing large original mastheads that sometimes served as opening panels of the story:



3 comments:

  1. Yes, that nice Hettie set is by Tom Williams. I've always liked his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for confirming the artist's name, Niblet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mastheads ARE nice! I'll look out for this one next time I'm visiting my usual source for annuals.

    ReplyDelete