welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Thursday, June 14, 2012

A LOOK AT COR!! STRIPS: DANGER MOUSE


The next COR!! strip in the row is again in the reprint territory. Danger Mouse was a traditional cat and mouse slapstick action feature with a superhero/secret agent twist. It was reprinted from SMASH! (Odhams series) where it appeared under the same name. Sometimes a half-pager and sometimes a one-pager, it gives an impression of a space-filler and its semi-regular appearances make the impression even stronger: the first episode was in issue with the cover date of 8th May, 1971 (No. 49) and the last in the one dated 8th April, 1972 (No. 97) but the total number of episodes was only 23. Artist unknown.

From COR!! issue dated 29th January, 1972 (No. 87)
From COR!! issue dated 8th April, 1972 (No. 97)

2 comments:

  1. Never seen these before! Are you aware of the Danger Mouse cartoon produced by Cosgrove-Hall during the 1980s?

    I wonder if either Danger Mouse-party were ever aware of each other's existence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn’t aware of the cartoon. I checked it out of YouTube this morning. There is barely any similarity between the comic and the cartoon but the character’s name may have very well been borrowed from the comic. Or maybe it was simply a coincidence that two creators came up with a similar name based on Danger Man TV series of the 60s.

    ReplyDelete